Sustainable Lifestyle

Open Everyday at 11:30am for Lunch & Dinner.

2747 NW Crossings Drive ~ 541-668-7177

What are Construction and Demolition materials?

Construction and Demolition (C&D) materials are debris from construction, renovations, and demolition of buildings, roads, and bridges according to the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA). These materials may be concrete, wood, asphalt, glass, bricks, salvaged building components (like windows, doors, and plumbing fixtures), and other materials from the site. 


Why do C&D materials matter?

According to the EPA, the U.S. generated 600 million tons of C&D waste in 2018, which is more than double the amount of municipal solid waste. Of the 600 million tons, 145 million tons were sent to landfills. The majority (90 percent) of that debris is a result of demolition compared to the other 10 percent from construction. Check out more facts from the EPA.


Recycling materials divert this waste from industrial waste landfills where it produces emissions. Using recycled materials also eliminates the need to source virgin materials (raw materials) which produces emissions from extraction, processing, and transportation. 


The U.S. is not alone in its production of C&D materials. According to the European Union (EU), C&D waste accounts for over one-third of all waste produced in the EU. The EU has enacted a law called the Waste Framework Directive that aims to increase rates of re-use, recycling, and other material recovery of non-hazardous C&D waste. This reduces waste generation and supports the safe handling and removal of hazardous substances. 


What is Mountain Burger doing?

Mountain Burger worked hard to find recycled materials for the renovations done to the building. The use of salvaged materials for indoor components of the building averted emissions produced by brand-new materials. 


The equipment was reused as much as possible and equipment that had to be bought was second-hand. The tables and benches were rebuilt into new tables and benches at the restaurant, and the table tops were made from recycled materials as well. Reusing materials helps divert waste from rapidly filling landfills and averts emissions and resources associated with using new materials. 

The shelving at the bar was made from recycled trim wood, and any remaining furniture, fixtures, and equipment (FF&E) and demolition materials were donated to Habitat for Humanity. Habitat for Humanity is a great option for those who have items to donate or for those who need to replace materials or furniture. This can be a sustainable and cost-effective way to redecorate or remodel.  


Mountain Burger’s commitment to sustainability started from the very beginning with reused equipment and recycled materials so that you can dine sustainably.

Latest Stories

This section doesn’t currently include any content. Add content to this section using the sidebar.